Wednesday, September 12, 2012

So This is Counseling?

Yesterday I finally got to work on gaining some practicum hours.  I arrived at the school at about 8:30 and talked to the counselor about upcoming dates that I could help out (I'm pretty excited to get to attend some college fairs and visits!) and some other details about my semester.  Then she set me to working on PLAN test preparation.  I spent a lot of my day bubbling in answer folders.  Just when I was starting to feel like putting my head through a wall and my hand was starting to look like it was developing advanced arthritis from gripping the number 2 pencil, she asked me if I wanted to tag along with her on a home visit! YAY!  On our 15 minute drive, she filled me in on the student's situation...he has moved back and forth between a mother and father who can't get along.  He's 17 years old and has a grand total of 3 high school credit hours.  He has resisted every opportunity the teachers and counselors have tried to give him and has now quit attending school altogether.  Of course my first thoughts were, "This kid needs to go to Job Corps! He is a perfect candidate!" We arrive and his father informs us that he isn't there and that he is going to move back in with his mother in another state.  He doesn't seem all that worried about it.  It saddens me and I wonder, without ever having met this student, what kind of future he can have.

7 comments:

  1. Do you know if the counselor followed up on his move, or did she just drop the case and close it out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said she was going to withdraw him. I assume she will make sure that they are contacted by the school system his father told her that he would be transferring to.

      Delete
  2. I think it is really neat that your counselor does home visits for students. I am sure that this gives her a better idea of how to help the student. The counselors at my school do not make home visits. We have a coordinator of student advocacy and mentoring that does home visits though. I'd also say that the fact that a counselor makes a home visit would also get the attention of parents and gain some respect from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Menifee County School District is rather small so I think the Counselor there has to wear more hats than counselors at larger schools. I agree that it is a great thing!

      Delete
  3. Working on the test preparation does not sound as exciting as a home visit! It is just too bad that the student has already moved. I agree that it is great that the counselor does home visits. This would show the student and parents that you are concerned about the child and have their best interest in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think home visits are a nice way for counselors to get a first-hand view of what life is like for many of our students. It not only helps the counselor understand where the student is coming from, but also ensures the family that the counselor is looking out for the student's best interest. I was part of a team that made a home visit several years ago and found the parent to be extremely welcoming and receptive. I know that is not always the case but I still feel that there are many benefits to home visits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried that we would be met with some resistance - especially given that I know a little bit about the family already - but I was glad and relieved to find that wasn't the case!

      Delete