Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Cyberbullying



Cyberbullying is something I didn’t have to worry about as a high school student.  Very few of my peers even had a home computer.  Today, however, it is a different world.  I know from the experience of my own children and friends that many people use the anonymity of the internet in order to harass and slander and the negative psychological and social effects that can have on the life of the victims.  I don’t think it is possible to prevent cyberbullying from taking place, though I do think students should be educated on the consequences it can have.  I think counselors should make students aware of the problems associated with the problem and educate them as to exactly what cyberbullying is, but I think more focus should be on helping students cope when cyberbullying takes place.  As a counselor, it will be my job to help students learn mechanisms that will help them overcome and live through tough situations without allowing themselves to fall into the mindset of the victim.

No comments:

Post a Comment