Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Post of my Choice for Week 12



Right now I’m not sure if I’m going to be using my counseling degree anytime soon – in its official sense anyway.  I really love my job.  I love the kids I work with.  I love feeling like I am making a real difference in their lives. I definitely feel like I do a lot of counseling here even though my official job title is teacher. 

I love the experiences I get to have with students here.  Yesterday we held a “Reality Store” for them so they could experience budgeting, paying for bills/necessities, supporting children, etc.  Some of their reactions to seeing how much was left in their bank accounts, or how many jobs they had to hold in order to pay all of the bills was priceless.  Today I had one of my girls graduate.  She left about an hour ago with a hug, a promise to stay in touch, and telling me she would remember what I always tell her – to “Make good choices.” I have high hopes that she will be successful while I struggle with my fears for the life she might be going back to.

But right now another student needs my attention…

No comments:

Post a Comment